MAKE YOUR OWN CRISPY FRIED CHICKEN WITH WHATWILLYCOOK18 October 2022
Think you've got what it takes to make some killer crispy fried chicken? Follow WhatWillyCook's recipe to win a pair of END. x Saucony Shadow 6000 "Fried Chicken" sneakers.
Winner winner, fried chicken shoe dinner.
This is @whatwillycook and this is what he can do with fried chicken. But, we want to know what you can do with fried chicken. To celebrate the release of END. x Saucony “Fried Chicken”, here’s your chance to win your very own pair of the limited edition Shadow 6000s. We’re challenging you to get “right stuck in” and create the perfect golden AND brown chicken dish, under the guidance (or chaos) of Willy himself.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs - 6 pieces
- Full fat plain yoghurt - 500ml
- Soy sauce - 4 tablespoons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- MSG - 1 teaspoon
- Szechuan pepper (ground) 1 tablespoon
- Cumin - 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Garlic powder - 1 tablespoon
- Onion powder - 1 teaspoon
- Cornflour - 3 tablespoons
- Plain flour - 4 tablespoons
- Pickled ginger - 1 small handful
- Pink pickled onions - 1 small handful
- Pickled cucumber/ gherkins - 1 small handful
- Crispy onions - 1 small handful
- Kewpie mayo - a good squirt
- Sriracha - a good squirt
- Coriander - 1 small handful (chopped finely)
1. Get all the chicken out and stick it in a bowl with soy, yogurt, lemon juice, sriracha, pickle juice and a pinch of all seasoning powders, set aside in the fridge overnight to brine. IF you haven't got overnight you can just give it a couple of hours - but overnight is best for flavour!
2. Mix all powdered seasonings with the cornflour and plain flour and then toss in the wet chicken, shake it around and press the seasoning in, making sure there are lots of flappy bits for extra crispiness.
3. Fill a deep pan with vegetable oil. Chuck a little bit of flour in first and if it bubbles then you're ready to fry the chicken in batches until golden brown. This should only take 4 minutes or so as it will keep cooking once removed from the oil and placed on kitchen paper. Don't overcrowd the pan or your chicken won't get crispy as the oil will go down in temperature. Try 3 bits of chicken at a time maximum to avoid any soggy chicken sadness.
4. Slap your chicken on a plate or a bowl or in a basket and top with a squiggle of kewpie mayo, sriracha, your pickled items and crispy onions for a bit of extra crispiness!
Saucony Shadow 6000 "Fried Chicken"